Before heading on a FREE tour of Dublin, my friend Jeff decided we should try some Irish coffee first (because in his words, ‘Why go on a tour of Dublin sober when you can go on it intoxicated?’) He took me to the infamous Temple Bar!
Temple Bar has their own special recipe which consists of 35.5 ml Powers Gold Label Whiskey, Demerara Brown Sugar, Freshly Brewed coffee and fresh whipped cream on top! I’m not a huge Whiskey fan but this drink was delish!
Other fun facts about Temple Bar and Whiskey?
- Free Traditional Irish Music: Every night, beginning at 8pm, there is traditional Irish Music being played, with no cover charge! Just come, relax with a pint and enjoy the ambience.
- Every year since 2002 The Temple Bar has received the award of ‘Ireland’s Best Traditional Irish Music Pub’
- Temple Bar has over 500 different types of whiskey!
- Irish Whiskey is the oldest whiskey in the world with direct link back to monastic Ireland. The name whiskey was derived from Gaelic words “uisce beatha” meaning ‘water of life’.
- In Medieval times, Queen Elizabeth the First described Irish Whiskey as her favorite drink!
A little Whiskey humor…
“What Whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for” Gaelic Proverb
“Too much f anything is bad, but too much whiskey is barely enough” Mark Twain
“God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world” Winston Churchill
“Whiskey is liquid sunshine” George Bernard Shaw
“No married man is genuinely happy if he has to drink worse whiskey than he was used to when he was single” Anonymous
“The first class is for myself, the second is for my friends, the third is for good humor and the fourth for my enemies” Sir William Temple
Definitely make Temple Bar a stop when you’re touring Dublin! Look for my next entry on the Jameson Whiskey distillery!